Monday, December 10, 2012

Just say Merry Christmas!

As I write this, we have 07 days, 12 hours, 42 minutes and 05 seconds until Christmas. (Maybe I should get rid of my countdown-to-Christmas ornament!) Regardless, I wonder how many more times someone will wish me a happy holiday rather than a Merry Christmas. People say this to me even when I am wearing my jacket that has 'Jesus Saves' embroidered on the front. Sadly, I admit that many times I just say, "Thanks" and walk away with a lump in my throat. 
I believe the tightness I feel in my throat is telling me something. So is my increased heartbeat. For tugging at my flesh is the very Counselor and Comforter that I deny. The apostle Paul was inspired by God to explain it this way: For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. -Galatians 5:17 It makes perfect sense then that our Savior, who's birth and more importantly death and resurrection it is that we are celebrating during Christmas, would physically remind us not to deny Him! 
As not to grieve my King and Savior when the world attempts to dismiss Him, I have decided to say, "You can say Merry Christmas to me - I celebrate my Savior's birth!" Additionally, if the Lord tarries another year, next Christmas I am going to make buttons that say just that.
God sprinkles all kinds of promises for us throughout His word. Some are lovely, some are not! This one encompasses both, and is quite relevant as well as motivating… Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. -Matthew 10:32-33
Please pray that we all have the courage to boldly proclaim what Christmas, in spite of it's pagan synthesis, means to us as Christians. 
I wish you all a very Merry Christmas, and leave you with the lyrics of my new favorite Christmas song, "Welcome to our World" by Chris Rice…

Tears are falling, hearts are breaking
How we need to hear from God
You've been promised, we've been waiting
Welcome Holy Child
Welcome Holy Child

Hope that you don't mind our manger
How I wish we would have known
But long-awaited Holy Stranger
Make Yourself at home
Please make Yourself at home

Bring Your peace into our violence
Bid our hungry souls be filled
Word now breaking Heaven's silence
Welcome to our world
Welcome to our world

Fragile finger sent to heal us
Tender brow prepared for thorn
Tiny heart whose blood will save us
Unto us is born
Unto us is born

So wrap our injured flesh around You
Breathe our air and walk our sod
Rob our sin and make us holy
Perfect Son of God
Perfect Son of God
Welcome to our world

Please remember, BIBLE BAIT is written by a novice Bible study student, not a Bible scholar. If something doesn't look quite right to you, dig into God's word. The one thing I promise you is that you won't get bored! 


No comments: