Once upon a time, I used to believe in the New Testament, but not the Old. The Old Testament to me was a collection of significant yet fictional stories. Incredible stories actually, like the one where just two people populate the entire world, or the one where a five hundred year old man builds a boat big enough to hold two of every animal and cruise the flooded Earth. For some reason I could wrap myself around the fact that God could create the world out of nothing, but not do with it what he wanted.
This view changed with one trip to the Creation Museum in Petersburg, Kentucky. As you walk in there is a sign that says, "Prepare to Believe". Quite full of myself I shouted out, "I'm already there, baby!" I wasn't so audible walking out the same door. In several hours I had become a true believer.
Whether you fully regard the Bible as God's Word, are in total disbelief, or fall somewhere in-between, let's look at some FACTS…
- 150 million Bibles are printed every year. To put this into perspective, the third best selling book of all time, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien has only sold as many to date. I realize this doesn't prove the Bible's authenticity, but don't you wonder why so many people are reading it?
- Although the Bible is a collection of 66 books, written by some 40 authors, over a period of 2,000 years, it has perfect unity and consistency throughout. There is a remarkable structural and mathematical pattern throughout that could not have been by chance, or conceived by humans.
- No one has ever been able to identify a single historical mistake anywhere in the Bible.
- There have been more than 25,000 archaeological finds relating to the Bible, and not one has contradicted anything in the Scriptures. Did you know that all fossils found have been either fully ape or fully human? Evolution has more holes in it than a bone with osteoporosis, and has been disproved by the scientific community.
- The Bible has hundreds of detailed prophecies, of which every one of them has come true in the minutest detail. (The only ones that haven't happened yet are those that are foretelling in detail Christ's return, which looks to be right around the corner!)
Please remember that BIBLE BAIT is written by a novice Bible study student, not a theologian.