Friday, February 20, 2009

What do A-Rod and Michael Phelps have in common besides illegal drug use?

What do A-Rod and Michael Phelps have in common besides illegal drug use? They both present us parents with teachable moments. My first reaction is to be angry at these undesirable actions made by the very people our children look up to. Then I have to take a deep breath and accept the gift of an opportunity to talk about these issues with the kids.

Having no bus service to my children's school is a blessing, given that I find it the best time to talk casually with them. (Not to mention that I have a captive audience.) I keep it simple and forthright, but when I do lose it and and start to get a bit preachy, I remind myself that their rolling eyes and claims of not listening are no reflection of the positive influence it has on them.

Talk, talk, talk!

No comments: